Basic principles for graphical symbols for use on equipment - Part 1: Creation of symbol originals
|Publication Date:||1 June 2001|
|ICS Code (Graphical symbols in general):||01.080.01|
International Standard 80416 series provides principles and guidelines for the creation of symbol originals and the application of graphical symbols for use on equipment prepared within ISO and IEC.
This Part 1 of the standard specifies the key principles for the creation of symbol originals for use on equipment. In accordance with the intended meaning of the symbol originals, it contains rules for design such as shape and size, and also for preparation of the accompanying texts.
This standard applies to graphical symbols used:
- to identify the equipment or a part of the equipment (for example, a control or display);
- to indicate functional states or functions (for example, on, off, alarm);
- to designate connections (for example, terminals, filling points);
- to provide information on packaging (for example, identification of content, instructions for handling); - to provide instructions for the operation of the equipment (for example, Iimitations of use).
This standard does not apply to symbol originals for:
- safety signs;
- use on drawings and diagrams;
- use in technical documentation of products and in technical product documentation;
- use for public information.