NFPA 24 HDBK
Standard for the Installation of Private Fire Service Mains and Their Appurtenances Handbook
|Publication Date:||1 January 2013|
This standard shall cover the minimum requirements for the installation of private fire service mains and their appurtenances supplying the following:
(1) Automatic sprinkler systems
(2) Open sprinkler systems
(3) Water spray fixed systems
(4) Foam systems
(5) Private hydrants
(6) Monitor nozzles or standpipe systems with reference to water supplies
(7) Hose houses
This standard shall apply to combined service mains used to carry water for fire service and other uses.
This standard shall not apply to the following situations:
(1) Mains under the control of a water utility
(2) Mains providing fire protection and/or domestic water that are privately owned but are operated as a water utility
This standard shall not apply to underground mains serving sprinkler systems designed and installed in accordance with NFPA 13R that are under 4 in. (102 mm) in size.
This standard shall not apply to underground mains serving sprinkler systems designed and installed in accordance with NFPA 13D.
The purpose of this standard shall be to provide a reasonable degree of protection for life and property from fire through installation requirements for private fire service main systems based on sound engineering principles, test data, and field experience.