Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-54: Particular requirements for surface-cleaning appliances for household use employing iquids or steam
|Publication Date:||1 August 2015|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
|ICS Code (Miscellaneous domestic and commercial equipment):||97.180|
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric cleaning appliances for household use that are intended for cleaning surfaces by using liquid cleansing agents or steam, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V. It also covers wallpaper strippers.
NOTE 101 Appliances may incorporate heating elements or means for pressurising the liquid container.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
- physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
- lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that - for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary; - in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
- floor treatment and wet scrubbing machines (IEC 60335-2-10);
- cleaning appliances that are permanently fixed to a building;
- cleaning appliances covered by IEC 60335-2-79, namely those having a pressure exceeding 2,5 MPa;
- pressurised volume over 5 l;
- product of pressure (in MPa) and container volume (in l) exceeding 5;
- liquid temperature exceeding 160 °C;
- rated power input exceeding 3 500 W;
- cleaning appliances intended for commercial or industrial use;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- fabric steamers (IEC 60335-2-85).