DODD 4140.68-M CE-01
Integrated Materiel Management of Nonconsumable Items
|Publication Date:||14 August 2015|
PURPOSE. In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive 5134.12 (Reference (a)), this manual:
a. Implements the requirements and procedures consistent with DoD Instruction (DoDI) 4140.01 (Reference (b)) for integrated materiel managers (IMMs) and others who work within or with the DoD supply system to assist in the elimination of duplicate national inventory management functions for those nonconsumable items being used by more than one DoD Component or participating federal agency.
b. Provides uniform guidance and describes operating procedures for applying primary inventory control activity (PICA) and secondary inventory control activity (SICA) materiel management objectives to assure that only one DoD Component will provide certain logistics support functions to all registered users of the same nonconsumable items, except for those exclusions covered in paragraph 2b of this issuance.
APPLICABILITY. This manual:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities in the DoD (referred to collectively in this manual as the "DoD Components").
(2) Federal agency organizations participating with the DoD Components, e.g., the United States Coast Guard (USCG), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and General Services Administration (GSA), but only when and to the extent they adopt the terms of this manual.
b. Does not apply to:
(1) Ships, aircraft, and other end items for which management and control are exercised through the application of unique identification systems.
(2) Items under the management cognizance of Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Defense Programs (ASD(NCB)), National Security Agency/Central Security Service (NSA/CSS) and the DoD Components' Joint Conventional Ammunition Production Coordinating Group (JCAP-CG). This manual does not apply to specific items:
(a) Conventional ammunition items in Federal Supply Group (FSG) 13 under cognizance of JCAP-CG as listed in the on-line tool for FSGs on DLA website www.dlis.dla.mil/H2.
(b) All nuclear ordnance items in FSG 11 and items regardless of federal supply classification (FSC) with commercial and government entity (CAGE) 57991, 67991, 77991, and 87991 under the cognizance of the ASD(NCB) CG as listed in the on-line tool for FSCs on DLA website www.dlis.dla.mil/H2.
(c) Cryptological items identified in FSC 5810 and 5811, items with CAGE 02227, 11874, 15942, 28865, or 98230, and items regardless of class under cognizance of the National Security Agency (NSA). Items in these categories not under the cognizance of NSA will be processed in accordance with NSA/CSS Circular 6-2 (Reference (c)).
(2) Nonconsumables identified as having interchangeability and substitutability (I&S) relationships before the level of authority (LOA) 22/8D status is assigned. These are being addressed by the Integrated Materiel Management Committee (IMMC). As items having I&S relationships are assigned LOA 22/8D status, they will become subject to the provisions of this manual.