SNZ AS/NZS 60335.2.40
Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2.40: Particular requirements for electrical heat pumps, air-conditioners and dehumidifiers
|Publication Date:||30 November 2015|
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of electric heat pumps, including sanitary hot water heat pumps, air-conditioners, and dehumidifiers incorporating motor-compressors and hydronic room fan coils, their maximum rated voltages being not more than 250 V for single phase appliances and 600 V for all other appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
This standard also applies to electric heat pumps, air conditioners and dehumidifiers containing flammable refrigerant. Flammable refrigerants are defined in 3.121.
The appliances referenced above may consist of one or more factory made assemblies. If provided in more than one assembly, the separate assemblies are to be used together, and the requirements are based on the use of matched assemblies.
NOTE 101 A def inition of 'motor-compressor' is given in IEC 60335-2-34, which includes the statement that the term motor-compressor is used to designate either a hermetic motor-compressor or semi-hermetic motorcompressor.
NOTE 102 Requirements for ref rigeration safety are covered by ISO 5149, and requirements for containers intended for storage of the heated water included in sanitary hot water heat pumps are, in addition, covered by IEC 60335-2-21.
This standard does not take into account chemicals other than group A1, A2, or A3 as defined by ANSI/ASHRAE 34 [ISO 817] classification.
This standard specifies particular requirements for the use of flammable refrigerants. Unless specifications are covered by this standard, including the annexes, requirements for refrigerating safety are covered by ISO 5149.
The sections and clauses in ISO 5149 of particular concern to this standard are as follows:
- Section 3: "Design and construction of equipment" applies to all appliances and systems.
- Section 4: "Requirements for utilization" applies to appliances and systems which are for "similar electrical appliances", i.e. commercial and light industrial.
- Section 5: "Operating procedures" applies to appliances and systems which are for "similar electrical appliances", i.e. commercial and light industrial.
Supplementary heaters, or a provision for their separate installation, are within the scope of this standard, but only heaters which are designed as a part of the appliance package, the controls being incorporated in the appliance.
NOTE 103 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraf t, additional requirements may be necessary;
- for appl iances subjected to pressure, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specif ied, for example, by the national health authorities responsible for the protection of labour and the national authorities responsible for storage, transportation, building constructions and installations.
NOTE 104 This standard does not apply to
- humidif iers intended for use with heating and cooling equipment (IEC 60335-2-88);
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial processing;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).