Security Standards for Safeguarding Chemical Agents
|Publication Date:||19 January 2016|
PURPOSE. This instruction reissues DoD Instruction (DoDI) 5210.65 (Reference (a)) in accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5134.01 (Reference (b)), Deputy Secretary of Defense Memorandum (Reference (c)), and paragraph E1.3 of DoDI 5200.08 (Reference (d)) to establish policy, assign responsibilities, and provide procedures for:
a. The execution of the DoD Chemical Agent Security Program.
b. Physical security, information security, and personnel reliability for Schedule 1 chemicals in the possession of the DoD (referred to in this instruction as "chemical agents"), as defined by the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) (Reference (e)).
APPLICABILITY. This instruction:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this instruction as the "DoD Components") that possess chemical agents used for research, medical, pharmaceutical, training, or protective purposes.
(2) DoD chemical weapons stockpile and destruction facilities declared in accordance with Reference (e).
(3) Contracts and provisioning agreements in accordance with section 1034 of Public Law 110-181 (Reference (f)) and section 1535 of Title 31, United States Code (Reference (g)) to the extent applicable provisions are incorporated into and made a part of such contract.
c. Does not apply to:
(1) Recovered chemical warfare materiel.
(2) Chemical agent samples, wastes, or material recovered from former destruction, storage, or production facilities.