Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-61: Particular requirements for thermal storage room heaters
|Publication Date:||1 April 2009|
|ICS Code (Electric heaters):||97.100.10|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric thermal-storage room heaters for household and similar purposes that are intended to heat the room in which they are located, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account:
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- this standard only applies to self-contained thermal-storage room heaters. However, it may be used as a guide, in so far as it reasonably applies, to determine the requirements and test specifications for other thermal-storage room heaters;
- for heaters incorporating direct-acting heating elements, IEC 60335-2-30 is also applicable;
- for heaters intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- heaters incorporated in the building structure;
- central heating systems;
- heaters for saunas (IEC 60335-2-53);
- flexible sheet heating elements for room heating (IEC 60335-2-96);
- heaters intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).