Geotechnical investigation and testing — Field testing — Part 12: Mechanical cone penetration test (CPTM)
|Publication Date:||15 May 2009|
|ICS Code (Earthworks. Excavations. Foundation construction. Underground works):||93.020|
This part of ISO 22476 specifies a mechanical cone penetration test (CPTM), including equipment requirements, execution and reporting. The results from such geotechnical testing are especially suited to the qualitative and/or quantitative determination of a soil profile - together with direct investigations - or as a relative comparison with other in situ tests.
The results from a cone penetration test can in principle be used to evaluate stratification, soil type, and geotechnical parameters such as soil density, shear-strength parameters and deformation and consolidation characteristics.
This part of ISO 22476 specifies the following features:
- type of cone penetration test (see Table 1);
- application class (see Table 2);
- penetration length or penetration depth;
- elevation of the ground surface or underwater ground surface at the location of the cone penetration test with reference to a datum;
- location of the cone penetration test relative to a reproducible fixed location reference point.
NOTE The planning and evaluation of an investigation programme and the application of its results to design are covered by EN 1997-1 and EN 1997-2.