CEN - PREN 15955
Railway applications - Infrastructure - Demountable machines, trailers and associated equipment - General safety and technical requirements for travelling and working
|Publication Date:||1 February 2020|
|ICS Code (Trailing stock):||45.060.20|
|ICS Code (Equipment for railway/cableway construction and maintenance):||45.120|
This document specifies the requirements for demountable machines and trailers, including road-rail trailers - henceforward referred to as 'machines'.
NOTE Trailers are considered as machines because they are moved along the track by powered machines.
This document specifies the requirements to deal with the common hazards during transport, assembly and installation, commissioning, travelling and working on track, use including setting, programming, and process changeover, operation, cleaning, fault finding, maintenance and de-commissioning of the machines and associated equipment when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable; see 5.1.
These machines are not designed nor intended to operate signalling and control systems and are only designed and intended to work and travel under special operating conditions in accordance with those generally required by the infrastructure managers. These machines are not permitted to run on railway lines open to normal traffic. Other rail mounted railway maintenance and infrastructure inspection machines are dealt with in other European Standards, see Technical Report 00256884.
This document includes the requirements for travelling and working on all railway networks including Urban Rail. Additional requirements can apply for travelling and working on infrastructures with narrow gauge or broad gauge lines, and railways utilizing other than adhesion between the rail and rail wheels.
This document is also applicable to machines and associated equipment that in working mode are partly supported on the ballast or the formation.
This document does not apply to the following:
- requirements for quality of the work or performance of the machine;
- additions or modifications to the requirements of this document established by the railway infrastructure operator;
- separate equipment temporarily mounted on machines.
- machines that utilize the catenary for traction purposes or as a power source;
- hazards due to air pressure caused by the passing of high-speed trains at more than 200 km/h
This document does not establish additional requirements for the following:
- operation subject to special rules, e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres;
- hazards due to natural causes, e.g. earthquake, lightning, flooding;
- working methods;
- operation in severe working conditions requiring special measures, e.g. extreme environmental conditions (below - 20 °C or above + 40 °C), corrosive environments, contaminating environments, strong magnetic fields;
- hazards occurring when used to handle suspended loads which may swing freely.
Validity of this document
This document applies to all machines, which are ordered one year after the publication date by CEN of this standard.