IEC - 60335-2-74
Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-74: Particular requirements for portable immersion heaters
|Publication Date:||1 September 2021|
|ICS Code (Small kitchen appliances):||97.040.50|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of portable electric immersion heaters for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- heating elements incorporated in portable appliances, such as appliances for heating liquids (IEC 60335-2-15);
- aquarium heaters (IEC 60335-2-55);
- fixed immersion heaters (IEC 60335-2-73)
- battery-operated appliances.