Design of Bridges
|Publication Date:||5 March 2011|
Ownership and management
This standard is applicable to the Design of temporary and permanent Bridges and Bridge-like structures.
Types of structure
This standard is applicable to the structural Design of Bridges and to Bridge-like structures such as;
• structures that support buildings over operational railway lines,
• cut and cover structures,
• elevated vehicle forecourts and ramps,
• avalanche shelters.
This standard is not applicable to the Design of;
• Equipment support structures - such as gantries for signals or overhead line electrification (OLE),
• Earthworks (but see 17 for the design of earth retaining walls),
• cable bridges,
• pipe bridges (but see 10.20),
• buildings and other structures that are supported by a Bridge.
Extent of structures
For the types of structure within its scope, this standard applies to all structural parts (such as decks and abutments) and elements (such as beams, columns and ballast plates) and permanent access facilities (such as walkways) that are integral with the structure. However, this standard is not applicable to the design of Longitudinal timbers - this is covered by NR/L2/TRK/038:Longitudinal timbers - design, installation and maintenance.
Categories of work
This standard applies to the Design of;
• repair works,
• strengthening works,
• renewed/replaced structural elements,
• renewed/replaced parts,
• new structures.
This standard also applies to;
• all stages where permanent works and temporary works are taken into operational use in stages, see NR/L3/MTC/089: Asset Management Plan,
• temporary works provided for the execution of the structure.
Types of rail traffic
This standard is applicable to structures carrying conventional railway traffic at conventional speeds; that is;
• passenger rail traffic with a maximum permitted speed not exceeding 125 mph (200 km/h),
• freight traffic with a maximum axle weight of 25 tons and maximum permitted speed not exceeding 60 mph (100 km/h),
• freight traffic with a maximum axle weight of 22.5 tons and maximum permitted speed not exceeding 75 mph (120 km/h).
Instruction and guidance on the Design of structures that are intended to carry rail traffic travelling in excess of these speeds can be sought from Network Rail's Professional Head (Buildings and Civils).
The purpose of this standard is to define the requirements for the structural Design of Bridges and Bridge-like structures.
Emergency Change NR/BS/LI/331 has expired. Please refer to Variation Pending Standards Change reference TR70250 appended to the standard, for requirements relating to bridge ... View More
Emergency Change NR/BS/LI/331 has expired. Please refer to Variation Pending Standards Change reference TR70250 appended to the standard, for requirements relating to bridge parapets.View Less