CENELEC - EN 60950-1
Information technology equipment - Safety Part 1: General requirements
|Publication Date:||1 April 2006|
|ICS Code (Information technology (IT) in general):||35.020|
|ICS Code (Office machines):||35.260|
Equipment covered by this standard
This standard is applicable to mains-powered or battery-powered information technology equipment, including electrical business equipment and associated equipment, with a RATED VOLTAGE not exceeding 600 V.
This standard is also applicable to such information technology equipment:
- designed for use as telecommunication terminal equipment and TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK infrastructure equipment, regardless of the source of power;
- designed and intended to be connected directly to, or used as infrastructure equipment in, a CABLE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM, regardless of the source of power;
- designed to use the AC MAINS SUPPLY as a communication transmission medium (see Clause 6, Note 4 and 7.1, Note 4).
This part of IEC 60950 is also applicable to:
- components and subassemblies intended for incorporation in this equipment. Such components and subassemblies need not comply with every requirement of the standard, provided that the complete equipment, incorporating such components and subassemblies, does comply;
- external power supply units intended to supply other equipment within the scope of this part of IEC 60950;
- accessories intended to be used with equipment within the scope of this part of IEC 60950.
NOTE 1 Examples of aspects with which uninstalled components, subassemblies and accessories may not comply include the marking of the power rating and access o hazardous parts.
NOTE 2 This standard may be applied to the electronic parts of equipment even if that equipment does not wholly fall within its Scope, such as large-scale air conditioning systems, fire detection systems and fire extinguishing systems. Different requirements may be nece ssary for some applications. This standard specifies requirements intended to reduce risks of fire, electric shock or injury for the OPERATOR and layman who may come into contact with the equipment and, where specifically stated, for a SERVICE PERSON. This standard is intended to reduce such risks with respect to installed equipment, whether it consists of a system of interconnected units or independent units, subject to installing, operating and maintaining the equipment in the manner prescribed by the manufacturer.
NOTE 3 The requirements of IEC 60065 may also be used to meet safety requirements for multimedia equipment. See IEC Guide 112, Guide on the safety of multimedia equipment. For televison sets EN 60065 applies.
This list is not intended to be comprehensive, and equipment that is not listed is not necessarily excluded from the Scope.
Equipment complying with the relevant requirements in this standard is considered suitable for use with process control equipment, automatic test equipment and similar systems requiring information processing facilities. However, this standard does not include requirements for performance or functional characteristics of equipment.
Requirements additional to those specified in this standard may be necessary for:
- equipment intended for operation in special environments (for example, extremes of temperature; excessive dust, moisture or vibration; flammable gases; and corrosive or explosive atmospheres);
- electromedical applications with physical connections to the patient;
This standard does not apply to:
- power supply systems which are not an integral part of the equipment, such as motorgenerator sets, battery backup systems and distribution transformers;
- building installation wiring;
- devices requiring no electric power.
- equipment intended to be used in vehicles, on board ships or aircraft, in tropical countries, or at altitudes greater than 2 000 m;
- equipment intended for use where ingress of water is possible; for guidance on such requirements and on relevant testing, see Annex T.
NOTE Attention is drawn to t he fact that authorities of some countries impose additional requirements.