Power Capacitors for Induction Heating Installations - Part 1: General
|Publication Date:||1 June 1998|
|ICS Code (Power capacitors):||31.060.70|
Scope and object
This part of IEC 60110 is applicable both to indoor capacitor units and indoor capacitor banks intended to be used, particularly, for power factor correction in induction heating, melting, stirring or casting installations, and similar applications with controlled or adjustable a.c. voltage systems in a frequency range up to 50 kHz, and with a rated voltage not exceeding 3,6 kV.
Additional requirements for capacitors protected by internal element fuses are given in IEC 60110-2.
The following capacitors are excluded from this standard:
- series capacitors for power systems (see IEC 60143);
- capacitors for motor applications and the like (see IEC 60252);
- coupling capacitors and capacitor dividers (see IEC 60358);
- shunt power capacitors of the self-healing type for a.c. systems having a rated voltage up to and including 1 000 V (see IEC 60831);
- shunt capacitors for a.c. power systems having a rated voltage above 1 000 V (see IEC 60871);
- shunt capacitors of the non-self-healing type for a.c. systems having a rated voltage up to and including 1 000 V (see IEC 60931);
- small a.c. capacitors to be used for fluorescent and discharge lamps (see IEC 61048 and IEC 61049);
- capacitors to be used in power electronic circuits (see IEC 61071);
- capacitors for microwave ovens (see IEC 61270);
- capacitors for suppression of radio interference (under consideration);
- capacitors intended for use with d.c. voltage superimposed on the a.c. voltage.
Accessories such as insulators, switches, instrument transformers, fuses, etc., shall be in accordance with the relevant IEC standards.
The object of this standard is:
a) to formulate uniform rules regarding performance, testing and rating;
b) to formulate specific safety rules;
c) to provide a guide for installation and operation.