Design of Overhead Line Structures
|Publication Date:||5 December 2015|
This standard defines the requirements for structural design of overhead line equipment.
It applies to the design and assessment of structures and foundations for overhead line equipment, including ranges of standard designs, allocation of standard designs and bespoke designs.
This standard should be used by Detail Designers, Assessment Engineers, Allocation Designers, and Project Engineers.
This standard enables Network Rail to achieve economy, safety and performance in the design of overhead line equipment.
Guidance is provided to the application of design to the structural Eurocodes, as well as supplementary information to the application of BS EN 50119: 2009.
The relevant national standard transposing a European standard is BS EN 50119:2009. NR/L2/CIV/073 has the following relationship with BS EN 50119:2009:
a) the scope of NR/L2/CIV/073 corresponds with BS EN 50119 section 6;
b) NR/L2/CIV/073 provides supplementary information which is required to apply BS EN 50119 section 6 to Network Rail infrastructure; therefore NR/L2/CIV/073 takes precedence over BS EN 50119 Section 6;
c) the purchaser specification referred to in BS EN 50119 should be taken as NR/L2/CIV/073, supplemented by project-specific contract requirements;
d) as permitted by BS EN 50119, NR/L2/CIV/073 provides the following decisions (listed for completeness in Appendix C):
1) values where alternative values or informative values only are given in BS EN 50119, including values which may be provided in the purchaser specification;
2) country specific data including detail of ice and wind loads;
3) procedures to be used where alternative procedures are given in BS EN 50119;
4) non-contradictory complementary information to assist the user to apply the standard;
NR/L2/CIV/073 has incorporated relevant provisions from BS EN 50119:2009 such that it can be used without direct reference to BS EN 50119:2009.
This standard is one of a suite of Civil Engineering Electrification standards for overhead line equipment as follows:
• NR/L2/CIV/072 Wind Loading of Overhead Line Equipment and Structures
• NR/L2/CIV/073 Design of Overhead Line Structures
These standards implement the structural Eurocodes EN 1990 to EN 1999 for structural design of overhead line equipment structures including foundations.