DODD 8910.01-M VOL 2 CE-01
DoD Information Collections Manual: Procedures for DoD Public Information Collections
|Publication Date:||19 May 2016|
a. Manual. This manual:
(1) Is composed of two volumes, each containing its own purpose, and reissues DoD 8910.1-M (Reference (a)). The purpose of the overall manual, in accordance with the authority in DoD Directive 5105.53 (Reference (b)), DoD Instruction (DoDI) 8910.01 (Reference (c)), and the Secretary of Defense Memorandum (Reference (d)), is to provide guidance to collect information from the public, other federal agencies, or the OSD and DoD Components.
(2) Provides guidance to information management control officers (IMCOs) on the operation of their OSD and DoD Component information collection management programs; and provides the procedures to approve and license with a report control symbol DoD internal information collections and approve DoD public information collections.
b. Volume. This volume:
(1) Provides guidance and the procedures necessary to obtain approval of public information collections to program managers and action officers. It provides the necessary procedures for OSD and DoD Components to establish, revise, extend, and discontinue information collections from members of the public.
(2) Addresses information management procedures for the DoD. It includes guidance concerning the requirements set out in Chapter 35 of Title 44, United States Code (U.S.C.) (Reference (e)) (also known as and referred to in this volume as "The Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995" (PRA)) and Part 1320 of Title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (Reference (f)), and the paperwork required by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) before its review of a public information collection proposal.
APPLICABILITY. This volume:
a. Applies to OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this volume as the "DoD Components").
b. Does not apply to:
(1) Component internal information collections that do not collect information from members of the public.
(2) Information collections where DoD is a respondent to Congress. The Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs manages the approval and licensing processes for information collection requirements in which DoD responds to a request by Congress. Policy, procedures, and guidance for information collections requested by Congress are in accordance with DoDI 5545.02 (Reference (g)).
(3) DoD internal information collections that do not collect information from members of the public. Procedures for DoD internal information collections are detailed in Volume 1 of this manual (Reference (h)).