Standard: NFPA - 85
BOILER AND COMBUSTION SYSTEMS HAZARDS CODE
This standard is available with a subscription to IHS Standards Expert.
IHS Standards Expert subscription, simplifies and expedites the process for finding and managing standards by giving you access to standards from over 370 standards developing organizations (SDOs).FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Maximize product development and R&D with direct access to over 1.6 million standards
- Discover new markets: Identify unmet needs and discover next-generation technologies
- Improve quality by leveraging consistent standards to meet customer and market requirements
- Minimize risk: Mitigate liability and better understand compliance regulations
- Boost efficiency: Speed up research, capture and reuse expertise
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
This code applies to the following:
(1) Single burner boilers, multiple burner boilers, stokers, and atmospheric fluidized bed boilers with a fuel input rating of 3.7 MWt (12.5 million Btu/hr) or greater
(2) Pulverized fuel systems at any heat input rate
(3) Fired or unfired steam generators used to recover heat from combustion turbines [heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs)] and other combustion turbine exhaust systems at any heat input rate
This code covers design, installation, operation, maintenance, and training.
This code covers strength of the structure, operation and maintenance procedures, combustion and draft control equipment, safety interlocks, alarms, trips, and other related controls that are essential to safe equipment operation.
This code does not cover process heaters used in chemical and petroleum manufacture in which steam generation is incidental to the operation of a processing system. 1.1.4 Chapter 5 covers single burner boilers that fire the following fuels:
(1) Fuel gas as defined in 3.3.64.
(2)*Other gas having a calorific value and characteristics similar to natural gas
(3) Fuel oil as defined in 184.108.40.206
(4) Fuel gas and fuel oil that are fired simultaneously for fuel transfer
(5) Fuel gas and fuel oil that are fired simultaneously and continuously
Chapter 6 covers multiple burner boilers firing one or more of the following:
(1) Fuel gas, as defined in 3.3.64
(2) Fuel oil, as defined in 220.127.116.11
(3) Pulverized coal, as defined in 18.104.22.168.1
(4) Simultaneous firing of more than one of the fuels stated in 1.1.5(1) through 1.1.5(3)
Chapter 7 covers atmospheric fluidized bed boilers.
Chapter 8 covers HRSG systems and other combustion turbine exhaust systems.
Chapter 9 covers pulverized fuel systems, beginning with the raw fuel bunker, which is upstream of the pulverizer and is the point at which primary air enters the pulverizing system, and terminating at the point where pressure can be relieved by fuel being burned or collected in a device that is built in accordance with this code. The pulverized fuel system shall include the primary air ducts, which are upstream of the pulverizer, to a point where pressure can be relieved.
The purpose of this code is to contribute to operating safety and to prevent uncontrolled fires, explosions, and implosions in equipment described in Section 1.1.
This code establishes minimum requirements for design, installation, operation, training, and maintenance
|Organization:||National Fire Protection Association|
|Change Type:||COMPLETE REVISION|
|Most Recent Revision:||YES|
|Document #||Change Type||Update Date||Revision||Status|
|NFPA 85||Change Type: ERTA||Update Date: 2016-07-13||Revision: 15||Status: ACTV|
|NFPA 85||Change Type: ERTA||Update Date: 2015-06-04||Revision: 15||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 85||Change Type: STCH||Update Date: 2015-01-01||Revision: 15||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 85||Change Type: TIA1||Update Date: 2014-08-14||Revision: 11||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 85||Change Type: ERTA||Update Date: 2011-04-29||Revision: 11||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 85||Change Type: STCH||Update Date: 2011-01-01||Revision: 11||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 85||Change Type:||Update Date: 2007-01-01||Revision: 07||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 85||Change Type:||Update Date: 2004-02-05||Revision: 04||Status: INAC|
|85||Change Type:||Update Date: 2001-02-09||Status: INAC|
This Standard References
Showing 10 of 51.