Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-12: Particular requirements for warming plates and similar appliances
|Publication Date:||1 October 2017|
|ICS Code (Small kitchen appliances):||97.040.50|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following. This International Standard deals with the safety of electric warming plates, warming trays and similar appliances intended to keep food or vessels warm, for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to keep vessels warm or to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or in aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
- appliances made of flexible material, such as textile material;
- appliances intended exclusively to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances intended exclusively for commercial catering or industrial purposes.