DIN EN 62680-1-3
Universal serial bus interfaces for data and power - Part 1-3: Universal Serial Bus interfaces - Common components - USB Type-CTM cable and connector specification (IEC 62680-1-3:2016); English version EN 62680-1-3:2016
|Publication Date:||1 January 2018|
|ICS Code (Interface and interconnection equipment):||35.200|
This specification is intended as a supplement to the existing USB 2.0, USB 3.1 and USB Power Delivery specifications. It addresses only the elements required to implement and support the USB Type-C receptacles, plugs and cables.
Normative information is provided to allow interoperability of components designed to this specification. Informative information, when provided, may illustrate possible design implementations.
This specification defines the USB Type-C™ receptacles, plug and cables.
The USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification is guided by the following principles:
• Enable new and exciting host and device form-factors where size, industrial design and style are important parameters
• Work seamlessly with existing USB host and device silicon solutions
• Enhance ease of use for connecting USB devices with a focus on minimizing user confusion for plug and cable orientation
The USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification defines a new receptacle, plug, cable and detection mechanisms that are compatible with existing USB interface electrical and functional specifications. This specification covers the following aspects that are needed to produce and use this new USB cable/connector solution in newer platforms and devices, and that interoperate with existing platforms and devices:
• USB Type-C receptacles, including electro-mechanical definition and performance requirements
• USB Type-C plugs and cable assemblies, including electro-mechanical definition and performance requirements
• USB Type-C to legacy cable assemblies and adapters
• USB Type-C-based device detection and interface configuration, including support for legacy connections
• USB Power Delivery optimized for the USB Type-C connector
The USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification defines a standardized mechanism that supports Alternate Modes, such as repurposing the connector for docking-specific applications.