EPA - 40 CFR PART 89
CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM NEW AND IN-USE NONROAD COMPRESSION-IGNITION ENGINES
|Publication Date:||1 July 2017|
(a) This part applies for all compression- ignition nonroad engines (see definition of ''nonroad engine'' in § 89.2) except those specified in paragraph (b) of this section. This means that the engines for which this part applies include but are not limited to the following:
(3) Portable compression-ignition
(4) Non-propulsion compression-ignition
(1) Aircraft engines. This part does not apply for engines used in aircraft (as defined in 40 CFR 87.1).
(2) Mining engines. This part does not apply for engines used in underground mining equipment and regulated by the Mining Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) in 30 CFR parts 7, 31, 32, 36, 56, 57, 70, and 75.
(3) Locomotive engines. This part does not apply for engines that:
(i) Are subject to the standards of 40 CFR part 92; or (ii) Are exempted from the requirements of 40 CFR part 92 by exemption provisions of 40 CFR part 92 other than those specified in 40 CFR 92.907.
(4) Marine engines. This part does not apply for engines that:
(i) Are subject to the standards of 40 CFR part 94;
(ii) Are exempted from the requirements of 40 CFR part 94 by exemption provisions of 40 CFR part 94 other than those specified in 40 CFR 94.907 or 94.912.
(iii) Are marine engines (as defined in 40 CFR part 94) with rated power at or above 37kW that are manufactured in calendar years in which the standards of 40 CFR part 94 are not yet applicable.
(5) Hobby engines. This part does not apply for engines installed in reducedscale models of vehicles that are not capable of transporting a person.
(6) Tier 4 engines. This part does not apply to engines that are subject to emission standards under 40 CFR part 1039. See 40 CFR 1039.1 to determine when that part 1039 applies. Note that certain requirements and prohibitions apply to engines built on or after January 1, 2006 if they are installed in stationary applications or in equipment that will be used solely for competition, as described in 40 CFR 1039.1 and 40 CFR 1068.1; those provisions apply instead of the provisions of this part 89.
(c) In certain cases, the regulations in this part 89 apply to engines at or above 250 kW that would otherwise be covered by 40 CFR part 1048. See 40 CFR 1048.620 for provisions related to this allowance.
(d) This part applies as specified in 40 CFR part 60 subpart IIII, to compression- ignition engines subject to the standards of 40 CFR part 60, subpart IIII.