Handbook for EBI Track 400 Audio Frequency Track Circuit: Review of the Compatibility of EBI Track 400 with Network Rail Infrastructure
|Publication Date:||6 February 2014|
In order to complete the EBI Track 400 Safety Case so as to support the product's use on Network Rail infrastructure, additional work is required to:
- Demonstrate compatibility with the rolling stock in use in the UK.
- Demonstrate general compatibility with Network Rail signalling systems.
- Compatibility with Rolling Stock is dealt with elsewhere; this document is concerned solely with the compatibility with Network Rail signalling systems.
EBI Track 400 has two different configurations, namely the Open Line configuration, which uses the same frequencies and track interface equipment as the well proven EBI Track 200 system, and the Station Area configuration, which uses EBI Track 300 frequencies and track interface equipment. For the Open Line configuration, it is argued that the successful use of EBI Track 200 for over 20 years on NR infrastructure provides the necessary evidence of compatibility. Since the EBI Track 300 equipment has not been used previously on NR, this argument is not available for the Station Area configuration. For this reason, this paper provides:
- A review of NR infrastructure equipment likely to be impacted by EBI Track 400 Station Area equipment.
- Arguments demonstrating compatibility.
It should be noted that EBI Track 400 is installed using two different methodologies:
- Jointed track circuit with single rail traction return.
- Jointless track circuit with double rail traction return.
The double rail jointless methodology uses tuned zones to separate track sections. The circulating currents within these tuned zones are considerably higher than the currents used within the actual track section. The double rail systems therefore have the greatest potential to interfere with other equipment, and are therefore used within this assessment. Equipment that is compatible with double rail track circuit installations will also be compatible with single rail installations