MODUK - DEF STAN 02-348
Guide to the Design, Corrosion Assessment and Stress Analysis of Steam Systems Pipework
|Publication Date:||28 January 2008|
a) This Defence Standard (Def Stan) 02-348 provides guidance on the following:
1) The design, manufacture, installation and testing of Steam Systems pipework for HM Surface Ships and Submarines;
2) Static and dynamic stress analyses and the interpretation of results;
3) Preferred methods for sizing and supplying pipework using existing design codes;
4) Assessment and control of corrosion in HM Surface Ships and Submarines Steam Systems pipework;
5) Requirements for Shock, Noise and Vibration for Steam Systems pipework.
b) This Standard provides guidance to suitably qualified and experienced engineers undertaking modifications to existing steam systems and designing new steam systems in HM Surface Ships and Submarines.
c) This Standard should be read in conjunction with the Pressure System Safety Regulations (2000), the Pressure Equipment Supply Regulations and any other relevant UK Statutory Requirements from which the MoD has not been granted a derogation under Article of the Treaty of Rome. Where there is conflict between the requirements of Statutory documentation and this MoD sponsored document, advice and clarification shall be sought from DE&S MPPS IPT - SFG218.
d) Specific requirements for Feed, Steam and Drain Systems for Nuclear Submarine propulsion and generating machinery are detailed in Def Stan 02-332.
e) Specific requirements for Feed, Steam and Drain Systems in HM Surface Ships fitted with Auxiliary Boilers are detailed in Def Stan 02-344.