Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-78: Particular requirements for outdoor barbecues
|Publication Date:||1 July 2008|
|ICS Code (Interior finishing):||91.180|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This International Standard deals with the safety of outdoor barbecues for household and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE 101 Examples of such appliances are those used by restaurants and hotels.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used on board ships, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
- barbecues for indoor use (IEC 60335-2-9);
- appliances intended to burn charcoal or similar combustible fuels;
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).