IEC - 60335-2-78
Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-78: Particular requirements for outdoor barbecues
|Publication Date:||1 November 2021|
|ICS Code (Interior finishing):||91.180|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of outdoor barbecues for household and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, restaurants, hotels, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used on board ships, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
- barbecues for indoor use (IEC 60335-2-9);
- appliances intended to burn charcoal or similar combustible fuels;
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- battery-operated appliances.