AMENDMENT 2 Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-15: Particular requirements for appliances for heating liquids
|Publication Date:||1 July 2008|
|ICS Code (Cooking ranges, working tables, ovens and similar appliances):||97.040.20|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electrical appliances for heating liquids for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
NOTE 101 Some appliances may be used for heating food.
NOTE 102 Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are
- cooking pans;
- egg boilers;
- feeding-bottle heaters;
- kettles and other appliances for boiling water, having a rated capacity not exceeding 10 l;
- milk heaters;
- pressure cookers having a rated cooking pressure not exceeding 140 kPa and a rated capacity not exceeding 10 l;
- slow cookers;
- steam cookers;
- wash boilers;
- yoghurt makers.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE 103 Examples of such appliances are
- glue pots with a water jacket;
- livestock feed boilers;
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 104 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 105 This standard does not apply to
- frying pans and deep fat fryers (IEC 60335-2-13);
- storage water heaters (IEC 60335-2-21);
- instantaneous water heaters (IEC 60335-2-35);
- surface-cleaning appliances employing liquids or steam (IEC 60335-2-54);
- portable immersion heaters (IEC 60335-2-74);
- commercial dispensing appliances and vending machines (IEC 60335-2-75)
- appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601);
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances for high-frequency heating;
- pressure sterilizers;
- humidifiers for household and similar use (IEC 60335-2-98).
NOTE 106 Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries requirements for pressure vessels are applied to pressure cookers.