IEC - 60335-2-13
Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-13: Particular requirements for deep fat fryers, frying pans and similar appliances
|1 December 2021
|ICS Code (Small kitchen appliances):
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of electric deep fat fryers having a recommended maximum quantity of oil not exceeding 5 l, frying pans, woks and other appliances in which oil is used for cooking, and intended for household use and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
- deep fat fryers for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-37);
- commercial multi-purpose cooking pans (IEC 60335-2-39);
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- battery-operated appliances.