CENELEC - EN 60335-2-73
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety Part 2-73: Particular requirements for fixed immersion heaters
|Publication Date:||1 August 2003|
|ICS Code (Water heating equipment):||91.140.65|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of fixed electric immersion heaters for household and similar purposes that are intended for installation in a water tank open to the atmosphere for heating water to a temperature below its boiling point. The rated voltage is not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
NOTE 101 The water tank may have alternative means for heating water, such as the circulation of hot water supplied from a separate boiler.
NOTE 102 Immersion heaters having a rated power input up to 25 kW for incorporation as an alternative heating source in central heating boilers are also within the scope of this standard.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities;or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 103 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 104 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- heating elements incorporated in appliances such as
• appliances for heating liquids (IEC 60335-2-15);
• storage water heaters (IEC 60335-2-21);
• instantaneous water heaters (IEC 60335-2-35);
- aquarium heaters (IEC 60335-2-55);
− portable immersion heaters (IEC 60335-2-74);
- engine preheaters such as those for cars and buses.