Mobile and fixed offshore units – Electrical installations – Part 7: Hazardous areas
|Publication Date:||1 April 2019|
|ICS Code (Electrical equipment of ships and of marine structures):||47.020.60|
This part of IEC 61892 provides requirements for hazardous area classification and selection of electrical equipment and installation in hazardous areas in mobile and fixed offshore units, including pipeline, pumping or "pigging" stations, compressor stations and single buoy moorings, used in the offshore petroleum industry for drilling, production, accommodation, processing, storage and offloading purposes.
It applies to all installations, whether permanent, temporary, transportable or personal, to AC installations and DC installations without any voltage level limitation. Referenced equipment standards may give voltage level limitations.
This document is based on the requirements of International Standards developed by IEC TC 31 regarding area classification and requirements as to installations in hazardous areas and gives additional requirements for installations on mobile and fixed offshore units.
This document specifies requirements such as those concerning
- area classification,
- electrical systems,
- selection of electrical equipment,
- cables and wiring systems,
- ventilation requirement for battery compartments, and
- inspection, maintenance, repair and overhaul.
This document gives information on topics such as
- gas detection systems, and
- electrical installations in extremely low ambient temperatures.
This document does not apply to
- fixed equipment for medical purposes,
- electrical installations of tankers, and
- control of ignition sources other than those created by electrical equipment.
NOTE 1 For medical rooms, IEC 60364-7-710 provides specific requirements. Requirements for tankers are given in IEC 60092-502.
NOTE 2 Guidance on protection of non-electrical equipment can be found in ISO 80079-36, ISO 80079-37 and IMO 2009 MODU Code, 6.7