CENELEC - EN 50176
Stationary electrostatic application equipment for ignitable liquid coating material - Safety requirements
|Publication Date:||1 October 2009|
|ICS Code (Paint coating equipment):||87.100|
This European Standard specifies the requirements for stationary electrostatic application equipment for ignitable liquid coating materials and for hard to ignite liquid coating materials to be used in explosive atmospheres generated by their own spray cloud. A distinction is made between spraying systems corresponding to EN 50050 and spraying systems designed for higher discharge energies and/or currents.
This European Standard also specifies the design-related requirements for a safe operation of the stationary equipment including its electrical installation.
This European Standard considers four types of electrostatic spraying systems; see 5.1 for more details.
This European Standard deals with all hazards significant for the electrostatic spraying of coating materials, which could also contain small quantities of added metal particles, if the work is carried out under conditions recommended by the manufacturer. In particular, this includes ignition hazards resulting from the generated explosive atmosphere, and the protection of persons from electric shocks.
This stationary equipment is classified as equipment of group II, category 2G or category 3G for use in potentially explosive areas of zone 1 or 2, respectively.
NOTE For other safety aspects like
- zone classification of the areas in and around spray booths, see EN 12215:2004, 126.96.36.199;
- zone classification of other areas with explosive atmosphere, see EN 60079-10-1;
- selection, installation and application of other electrical and non electrical equipment in areas with explosion hazard, see EN 60079-14 and EN 12215:2004, 188.8.131.52;
- health protection (for instance, noise), see also EN 12215:2004, 5.5 and EN 14462;
- cleaning of spraying areas, see instruction manual of the spraying equipment;
- fire prevention and protection (for instance fire hazards due to other sources) see also EN 12215:2004, 5.7.1.
Design-related measures for reducing the generation of noise of the stationary equipment for electrostatic coating are given in EN ISO 11688-1. See also EN 14462.