CEI UNI EN 82079-1
Preparation of information for use (instructions for use) of products Part 1: Principles and general requirements
|Publication Date:||1 November 2020|
|ICS Code (Electrical engineering in general):||29.020|
|ICS Code (Technical product documentation):||01.110|
This part of 82079 International Standard provides principles and general requirements for information for the use of products.
Information for use is:
• necessary for the safe use of a product;
• helpful for the efficient and effective use of a product; and
• often necessary to fulfil market, legal, and regulatory obligations.
Products include, for example:
• industrial products (e.g. machinery, components, devices, and equipment);
• consumer products (e.g. household appliances, audio-visual devices, communication devices, and do-it-yourself products);
• medical devices, equipment and systems;
• complex systems of systems (e.g. industrial plants, refineries, production sites, and data centres);
• means of transport (e.g. cars, trucks, ships, and airplanes);
• application software (e.g. office software and web applications);
• software for operation and automatic control of systems; and
• technical services.
Information for use of products applies to phases of the product life cycle such as transport, assembly, installation, commissioning, operation, monitoring, troubleshooting, maintenance, repair, decommissioning, and disposal, and the appropriate tasks performed by skilled and unskilled persons.
This document provides the common and fundamental aspects serving as the binding and generic framework for prospective additional parts of this document.
This document applies to information for use whether provided as electronic or printed information products, for example:
• service information for machinery, provided as PDF file for web download for trained service technicians;
• information for operation of software, provided electronically with the software as an online help;
• troubleshooting information for an operator, on a machine's on-screen display;
• functional description of a medical device on a website;
• information for assembly, printed and provided in the packaging of a piece of furniture for consumers;
• printed information for maintenance for an automatic coffee machine;
• installation planning information for a safety sensor, downloadable from a website for mechanical engineers;
• product tutorial as a web-based training aid;
• materials for product on-site training; and
• label for transportation personnel, printed on the packaging of a heavy containment vessel.
This document is intended for use by all parties responsible for or involved in the conceptualization, creation, maintenance, translation, localization, integration of content, production, provision and evaluation, acquisition and supply of information for use.
The parties concerned with information for use include the following:
• acquirers and suppliers of products;
• managers with process or product responsibilities;
• content owners and content creators such as technical writers, information developers, and illustrators;
• technical translators, localization and terminology experts; and
• authorities, agencies and authorized experts.
The aim of this document is to provide these parties with the common and fundamental basis for developing information for use of supported products of the required quality.
This document is intended to be applied and referenced in product-specific standards, including those that specify the content of information for use of those products, for example, IEC 60335 for all parts for household electrical products, ISO 20607* for machinery, and ISO/IEC 26514 for systems and software. It is intended as a basis to elaborate productspecific requirements for target audiences or product information.
* Under preparation. Stage at the time of publication: ISO/DIS 20607:2018.
This horizontal standard is primarily intended for use by technical committees in the preparation of standards in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 108.
One of the responsibilities of a technical committee is, wherever applicable, to make use of horizontal standards in the preparation of its publications. The contents of this horizontal standard will not apply unless specifically referred to or included in the relevant publications.