Epoxy/Epoxide Woven Fabric - Reinforced Composite Materials
|Publication Date:||1 June 2021|
Note: Nothing in this standard supercedes applicable laws and regulations.
Note: In the event of conflict between the English and domestic language, the English language shall take precedence.
This specification covers the properties of epoxy/epoxide resin reinforced woven fabric composites fabricated using carbon fiber fabric preforms, such as weaves, braids, stitched preforms and so forth as the reinforcement.
The intended production bonding system (substrate and adhesive) shall meet the requirements of GMW15921 when tested in the laboratory. Production representative parts, and/or assemblies, shall meet the requirements of GMW16185 when tested according to the specification.
• For painted applications, the material must meet the requirements of GMW16172
• For body or accent color applications, low bake topcoat per 9984901, 9984904 should be used
• For exposed weave applications, apply clear coat per GMW15703
A-surface of exposed weave carbon fiber components (fenders, hoods, roofs, etc.) Typical applications include the following:
• Type I: Standard carbon fiber fabric reinforced epoxy/epoxide composites with no V-0 requirement
• Type II: V-0 woven carbon fiber reinforced epoxy/epoxide for engine cover applications
All materials are Type I unless otherwise specified. The woven fabric can be used as a decorative single ply on top of a unidirectional stack-up, or as a multi-layer stack-up.