CEN - EN 1756-1
Tail Lifts - Platform Lifts for Mounting on Wheeled Vehicles - Safety Requirements - Part 1: Tail Lifts for Goods
|Publication Date:||1 August 2021|
|ICS Code (Other road vehicle systems):||43.040.99|
|ICS Code (Other lifting equipment):||53.020.99|
This document specifies safety requirements for design of tail lifts as defined in 3.1 for mounting on wheeled goods vehicles. It also specifies the verification of such tail lifts and the safety information that has to be provided for their use.
This document deals with the technical requirements to minimize the hazards listed in Clause 4 which can arise during the operation of tail lifts when carried out in accordance with the specifications as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer or his authorized representative.
It applies to tail lifts:
- used for the purpose of loading and/or unloading such vehicles;
- intended to be fitted, temporarily or permanently, either inside or on the front, side or rear of the wheeled vehicle;
- driven either by hand or power operated;
- equipped with a platform to support loads which comprise goods, an operator, or a combination of the two;
- with a maximum lifting height not exceeding 3 m above ground when the platform is unloaded;
- rotary type with a maximum lifting height not exceeding 2 m;
- used as a link bridge when intended by the manufacturer.
NOTE A tail lift is not to be confused with a link bridge attached to a loading dock which is included within the definition of a dock leveller and is outside the scope of this document.
Loading and/or unloading operations include the use of a tail lift to lift and/or lower loads.
This document does not establish the additional requirements for:
- the risk of falling when operating under 2 m height;
- overloading at vehicle floor level;
- drive system with lead screw and nuts;
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme environmental conditions such as freezer applications, high temperatures, corrosive environment, tropical environment, contaminating environments, strong magnetic fields);
- operations subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres);
- supply by electrical networks and the electrical circuit;
- power take off part of the system;
- electromagnetic compatibility (emission-immunity);
- static electricity problems;
- handling of loads the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations (e.g. molten metal, acids/bases, radiating materials, especially brittle loads);
- hazards occurring during installation, transportation, decommissioning;
- hazards occurring when handling suspended loads which can swing freely;
- requirement related to the use on public roads;
- wind pressure in and out of use;
- direct contact with foodstuffs;
This document is not applicable to tail lifts manufactured before the publication of this document.