NORSOK - R-002
|Publication Date:||1 January 2017|
This NORSOK standard is valid for technical requirements to lifting appliances, lifting accessories and lifting components on all fixed and floating installations, mobile offshore units, barges and vessels, as well as on land based plants where petroleum activities are performed. This standard is also valid for material handling and the following equipment:
- launching and recovery appliances for life-saving equipment, with and without lifting function;
- means of connection and release systems that are integrated parts of life-saving equipment, as well as their anchorage in the life-saving equipment;
- portable units (lifted objects and cargo carrying units);
- foundations and suspensions for lifting appliances;
This standard may also be used for lifting equipment not specifically described in the annexes.
NOTE 1 For the purpose of this standard, the term "lifting equipment" comprises all above-mentioned equipment excluding foundations and suspensions.
Most lifting equipment have interfaces to the installation/hull. Such interfaces may constitute a fixed mechanical connection (welding, bolting etc), temporary mechanical connection (hook, shackle, etc.), and/or a control system connection (cables, pipes, etc.). The requirements of this standard applies to such interfaces as far as the main purpose of the interface is to serve the integrity of the lifting equipment. Where lifting equipment is subject to parallel legislation with both SHE requirements aimed at the operator and machine safety requirements aimed at the manufacturer, the general NORSOK standards for other disciplines will not apply on a lifting equipment, unless specifically referred to in this standard.
Interface examples R-002 and other standards:
- A crane pedestal transition, a lifting lug support beam transition or a lifeboat support frame transition is covered by the requirements of this standard to the extent where its main purpose is to support the lifting appliance. Where this is not the main purpose of the support structure, the transition is covered by other standards.
- Means of access to/within a lifting appliance is covered by this standard to the extent where the means is necessary to operate and maintain the lifting appliance. Where the means of access is provided for other purposes, these are covered by other standards.
NOTE 2 For the safe use of lifting equipment, reference is made to NORSOK R-003 and NORSOK R-005.