NR - RT/E/S/11752 ISSUE 1
Train Detection (aka NR/SP/SIG/11752)
|Publication Date:||1 December 2000|
The contents of this document apply to all train detection systems. Interfaces with other asset systems are given in section 5.
Train detection systems include:
• track circuits (see References for the relevant Product Specifications), · axle counters (see RT/E/S/10129),
• rail circuits (not yet included in this document),
• other types of wheel detector, e.g. treadle, electromagnetic proximity device,
• constant delay systems, e.g. grade crossing predictor, generally for use at level crossings (not yet included in this document),
• block systems, including transmission based systems (these belong to a different asset system, as they are essentially systems for controlling the passage of trains),
• supplementary systems, e.g. track circuit assister interference detector (TCAID), track circuit interrupter, track circuit operating device (T-COD), impedance bonds.
General issues relating to signalling are contained in the following documents, which shall be consulted as necessary:
• Signalling Design Handbook,
• Signalling Installation Handbook,
• Signalling Works Testing Handbook,
• Signalling Maintenance Testing Handbook,
• Signalling Maintenance Specifications, and
• other relevant Railtrack standards.
This document gives the requirements for train detection systems to enable the appropriate system specification for the Total Infrastructure System to be achieved.
It also satisfies the mandatory requirements laid down in Railway Group Standard GK/RT0011 which is legally binding upon Railtrack as a duty holder of a Railway Safety Case.