Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Fluids Code
|Publication Date:||1 January 2013|
Applicability. This code shall apply to the installation, storage, use, and handling of compressed gases and cryogenic fluids in portable and stationary cylinders, containers, equipment, and tanks in all occupancies.
Specific Applications. This code shall not apply to the following:
(1)*Off-site transportation of materials covered by this code
(2) Storage, use, and handling of radioactive gases in accordance with NFPA 801, Standard for Fire Protection for Facilities Handling Radioactive Materials
(3)*Use and handling of medical compressed gases at health care facilities in accordance with NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code
(4) Systems consisting of cylinders of oxygen and cylinders of fuel gas used for welding and cutting in accordance with NFPA 51, Standard for the Design and Installation of Oxygen-Fuel Gas Systems for Welding, Cutting, and Allied Processes
(5)*Flammable gases used as a vehicle fuel when stored on a vehicle.
(6)*Storage, use, and handling of liquefied and nonliquefied compressed gases in laboratory work areas in accordance with NFPA 45, Standard on Fire Protection for Laboratories Using Chemicals
(7) Storage, use, and handling of liquefied petroleum gases in accordance with NFPA 58, Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code.
(8) Storage, use, and handling of compressed gases within closed-cycle refrigeration systems complying with the mechanical code
(9) Liquefied natural gas (LNG) storage at utility plants under NFPA 59A, Standard for the Production, Storage, and Handling of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
(10) Compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) utilized as a vehicle fuel in accordance with NFPA 52, Vehicular Gaseous Fuel Systems Code
(11)*Compressed hydrogen gas (GH2), or liquefied hydrogen gas (LH2) generated, installed, stored, piped, used, or handled in accordance with NFPA 2, Hydrogen Technologies Code, when there are no specific or applicable requirements in NFPA 55
(12) Nonflammable mixtures of ethylene oxide with other chemicals
(13) Ethylene oxide in chambers 10 scf (0.283 Nm3) or less in volume or for containers holding 7.05 oz (200 g) of ethylene oxide or less
Purpose. The purpose of this code shall be to provide fundamental safeguards for the installation, storage, use, and handling of compressed gases and cryogenic fluids in portable and stationary cylinders, containers, and tanks.