International lamp coding system (ILCOS)
|Publication Date:||1 June 2013|
|ICS Code (Lamps and related equipment):||29.140|
Scope and object
This International Standard gives the rules for the international lamp coding system and covers all lamp categories, excluding vehicle lamps. Coding for the main lamp types is specified and, for the others, will follow by amendments to this standard as appropriate.
The object of the international lamp coding system is
- to improve communication about the different types of lamps;
- to help in discussions concerning interchangeability and compatibility of products;
- to create a closer relationship between international standards and manufacturers' literature (for example the code could be given in future in the relevant parts of a standard);
- to enable correct replacements of lamps;
- to be used as a complementary marking on the luminaire;
- to replace national and regional coding systems.