NEMA ICS 2
Standard for Industrial Control Devices, Controllers and Assemblies
|Publication Date:||1 January 1978|
The product scope of the Control Group of the Industrial Control and Systems Section of NEMA which is responsible for the development of this Standards Publication is given below.
Scope of the Control Group
General purpose mechanical, electromechanical and/or solid state (static) devices and control which are principally used in industrial applications for the control of motors or other power utilization apparatus rated not more than 750 volts dc or 7,200 volts ac. The product scope specifically includes, but is not limited to, devices principally used for the following purposes:
A. To start, stop, protect, accelerate, decelerate, reverse, and/or control the· speed of electric motors.
B. To provide some mechanical movement through the action of magnets or solenoids.
Examples of devices falling within this product scope are as follows:
1. Manual, magnetic and solid state (static) starters and controllers.
2. Relays and contactors, magnetic and solid state (static).
3. Drum switches.
4. Overload devices intended primarily for the starting and running protection of electric motors, including inherent overload protective devices.
5. Rheostats and resistors.
6. Autotransformers and reactors of the type principally used in reduced voltage starters.
7. Control circuit and/or pilot devices including, but not limited to, timers, push-buttons, indicating and pilot lights, limit switches, pressure, vacuum, temperature and/or liquid-level switches, plugging switches, speed switches, solenoids and photo-electric relays. Specifically includes domestic water pump pressure switches.
8. AC and DC brakes, clutches, and electrical operators therefor.
9. Resistance dimmers, autotransformer dimmers, reactor dimmers, and solid state (static) dimmer systems.
10. Solid state logic devices.
11. Machine tool and similar machine control panels.