API STD 541
Form-Wound Squirrel-Cage Induction Motors - 500 Horsepower and Larger
|Publication Date:||1 June 2004|
This standard covers the minimum requirements for form-wound squirrel-cage induction motors 500 horsepower (hp) and larger for use in petroleum industry services.
Note 1: This standard is typically utilized for machines that have one or more of the following characteristics:
1. Is in critical service.
2. Is larger than 3000 hp (2250 kW) for speeds 1800 rpm and below.
3. Is rated 800 hp (600 kW) or greater for two-pole (3000 or 3600-rpm) machines of totally-enclosed construction, or rated 1250 hp (930 kW) or greater for two-pole machines of open or guarded construction (including machines with WP-I or WP-II type enclosures).
4. Drives a high-inertia load (in excess of the load Wk² listed in NEMA MG-1 Part 20).
5. Uses an adjustable speed drive as a source of power.
6. Is an induction generator.
7. Is a vertical machine rated 500 hp (375 kW) or greater.
8. Operates in abnormally hostile environments.
Note 2: A round bullet (•) at the beginning of a paragraph indicates that either a decision is required or further information is to be provided by the purchaser. This information should be indicated on the datasheets (see Appendix A); otherwise it should be stated in the quotation request or in the order.
Note 3: A diamond bullet (✦) at the start of a paragraph indicates additional requirements for motors applied with adjustable speed drivers (ASDs).
This standard requires the purchaser to specify details and features. The purchaser shall complete the datasheets in Appendix A.
Note: Guidance for completion of the datasheets is provided in Appendix C.