NAVY - OPNAV 1500.76
(N12) NAVY TRAINING SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS, ACQUISITION, AND MANAGEMENT
|Publication Date:||21 July 1998|
a. This instruction covers MPT programs developed to support Department of Navy (DON) acquisitions in Acquisition Categories (ACAT) I through IV and other smaller programs as necessary.
b. This instruction also applies to:
(1) Non-developmental items (NDIs) and commercial-off-the-s
(2) Navy and Naval Reserve acquisitions, from individual equipment through total ship and aircraft acquisitions (including items transferred to the Naval Reserve).
(3) Non-hardware developments, including automated information systems (AIS).
(4) Officer accession, officer professional, and senior enlisted professional military education programs.
c. This instruction describes the requirements determination process which is to be employed to define the MPT requirements associated with each acquisition. Such requirements must define the full range of the training system and MPT support to be established for the given acquisition, including but not limited to the following:
(1) Manpower requirements, including civilian manpower if required.
(2) Use of operational equipment for training purposes (e.g., TTE).
(3) Embedded and on-board (in-service) training capabilities.
(4) Per reference (g), TDs and simulators (specific and generic) exceeding $10 million or 10 percent of the given project's budget, whichever is smaller for research and development projects, $25 million for aviation procurement appropriations, and $10 million for other procurement appropriations.
(5) Use and development of technical manuals and other documentation procured to support training, curriculum development, facilities requirements, and development of formal and informal training programs.
(6) Electronic-based training and distance learning.
(7) The development and implementation of Navy formal training programs (regular and reserve) except in the following cases:
(a) Marine Corps unique training programs.
(b) Cryptology TTE support (tactical or strategic); exceptions to the provision of such support are defined in reference (h). Reference (h) augments this instruction.
(c) Naval nuclear propulsion plant operators and maintenance training; development and implementation of such training programs are controlled by the Department of Energy per reference (i).
d. MPT requirements and the support for MPT requirements will be documented in the NTSP per reference (j) or Master Program Plan (MAPP) per reference (k). If MAPP is used, all requirements and guidance of this instruction and reference (j) must be met. The NTSP and MAPP meet all of reference (l) requirements for a TD Development Plan (DP). Both the NTSP and MAPP processes have been developed to accommodate data sharing and digital distribution. The MAPP User's Handbook is available from Commander, Naval Sea Systems Command (COMNAVSEASYSCOM).