ARMY - AR 56-9
|Publication Date:||7 February 2002|
Purpose a. This regulation prescribes-
(1) Responsibilities and policies for determining Department of the Army (DA) watercraft (including amphibians) requirements, priorities, distribution, and operations.
(2) Responsibilities for development and update of the Army Watercraft Master Plan (AWMP).
(3) Responsibilities for DA watercraft program planning, budgeting, and execution.
(4) Responsibilities, policies, and procedures for qualifying Army personnel in military occupational specialty (MOS) 88K, 88L, 88OA, and 881A to skill level and vessel type. The basis for soldier mariner qualification is derived from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Conventions and United States Code (USC) as promulgated in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
(5) Responsibilities for ocean, harbor and inland waterway vessel operations.
b. This regulation applies to all DA controlled or leased watercraft used in logistics over-the-shore (LOTS) operations; coastal, harbor, and inland waterway; and ocean operation. (Table 1-1 located at the end of chapter 1 defines types and classes of watercraft governed by this regulation.)
c. This regulation does not cover watercraft used in civil work under jurisdiction of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; and engineer-peculiar equipment.
Applicability. This regulation applies to the Active Army, the Army National Guard of the United States (ARNGUS) including periods when operating in an Army National Guard (ARNG) capacity, the Army Reserve, and other personnel operating and maintaining watercraft covered by this regulation.