CTA - EIA/CEA-851
VHN Home Network Specification
|Publication Date:||1 October 2000|
The R-7.4 VHN Home Network is a flexible and open network architecture specification for the home.
A R-7.4 VHN Home Network
• allows the transfer of information among all connected, digital devices in the home;
• allows interoperability between different networks in the home, including low bandwidth networks and high bandwidth networks;
• provides a common interface to Residential Gateways which connect devices in the home to access networks;
• provides user-to-device control;
• provides device-to-device control; and
• provides home network management for devices and applications.
The VHN enables several important classes of applications for the home network:
• Entertainment services -- which include distribution of video, audio, and in the home, video games, and control of A/V devices such as TVs, VCRs, and set-top boxes.
• Communication services -- which include voice telephony (wired and wireless), video telephony, video conferencing, distance learning, and remote access to corporate networks.
• Information services -- which include Internet access, on-line service access, PC file and print sharing, news and information on demand, home shopping, and home banking.
• Home automation services -- which include energy management, premises security, lighting and appliance control.