Versatile Home Network
|Publication Date:||1 July 2006|
Scope and Purpose
The VHN Home Network is defined by an abstract model (see Figure 2) that satisfies the needs of the classes of applications described in the Section 1.1. The model consists of:
• A backbone network.
• One or more component networks.
• A number of access devices that connect the home network to external access networks.
• A number of network devices that connect component networks to the home backbone network.
• End devices that provide various functional services to the home user.
The VHN enables several important classes of applications for the home network:
• Entertainment services - which include the distribution of video, audio, and video games, and the control of audio/video (A/V) devices such as TVs, VCRs, and set-top boxes.
• Communication services - which include voice telephony (wired and wireless), video telephony, video conferencing, distance learning, and remote access to corporate networks.
• Information services - which include Internet access, on-line service access, PC file and printer sharing, news and information on demand, home shopping, and home banking.
• Home automation services - which include lighting, appliance control, energy management, comfort control, and premises security.