Household and similar electrical appliances Safety Part 2-88: Particular requirements for humidifiers intended for use with heating, ventilation, or airconditioning systems
|Publication Date:||1 October 2002|
|ICS Code (Ventilation and air-conditioning systems):||91.140.30|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric humidifiers intended for use with heating, ventilation, or air-conditioning systems in household, commercial, and light industrial applications (and may include large stand-alone commercial equipment) which operate according to the evaporative or atomization system, water-injection, steam and the like, their maximum rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 600 V for all other appliances.
NOTE 101 Air-conditioning equipment to be used in conjunction with the humidifiers covered by this standard are covered in IEC 60335-2-40.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by national health authorities, national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
- humidifiers without room heating, ventilation or air-conditioning equipment intended exclusively for household use (IEC 60335-2-98);
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial processing;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- humidifiers intended for medical purposes (see IEC 60601).