ARMY - AR 40-657
VETERINARY/MEDICAL FOOD SAFETY, QUALITY ASSURANCE, AND LABORATORY SERVICE
|Publication Date:||21 January 2005|
a. Defines the food safety and quality assurance mission of the U.S. Army Veterinary Service.
(1) The U.S. Army Veterinary Service will be used to meet the requirements of individual Services and departments.
(2) The U.S. Army Veterinary Service will support the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps. Qualified Navy and Marine Corps medical department personnel or Air Force public Health personnel may be used to perform these functions if Army veterinary personnel are not available.
b. Prescribes the general policies and procedures to follow in the inspection of food and food establishments used to supply all military forces. Included are interservice and intragovernmental support agreements that will be reached when such agreements are in the best interest of the Services or military forces.
c. Sets forth the procedures for inspection of-
(1) Food procured by local or other procurement activities with appropriated or nonappropriated funds (NAFs).
(2) Food and food establishments in the case of a civilian contractor operating on an installation when foods are not purchased with appropriated funds or NAFs.
(3) Military and civilian food establishments.
d. Defines the responsibilities and functions of the veterinary laboratory service relative to the-
(1) Testing of subsistence, water, and dietary supplements.
(2) Laboratory diagnosis of communicable and zoonotic diseases and conditions of military interest.
Applicability. This regulation applies to the Active Army and Reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps. This regulation applies to inspections and audits made at the request of the U.S. Coast Guard under the Interservice Support Agreement. It also applies to the Army National Guard (ARNG). Specific instructions regarding Air Force food inspection procedures contained in AFI 48-116 will be followed for food inspections conducted on Air Force installations. The same food safety/quality assurance standards apply during deployments as in garrison.