Recommended Practice - General Principles for Temperature Limits in the Rating of Electrical Equipment and for the Evaluation of Electrical Insulation
|Publication Date:||7 December 2000|
Guiding principles are included for the development of test procedures for
- Thermal evaluation of electrical insulating materials (EIM)
- Thermal evaluation of electrical insulation systems (EIS)
- Thermal classification 1 of EIS for rating electric equipment
The principles are presented in the following order:
- Clause 4, General concepts
- Clause 6, Evaluation of the thermal capability of EIM
- Clause 7, Limiting temperatures and their measurement for EIS
- Clause 8, Thermal evaluation of EIS
In the application of these principles, variations are necessary to suit the widely different types of equipment and service conditions that are considered in equipment standards. When specific equipment, IEEE, or other recognized standards based on these principles are available, they should take precedence over this recommended practice.
This recommended practice is intended to serve in the preparation of standards that are principally concerned with the thermal endurance of EIM and simple combinations thereof, with the establishment of limiting temperatures of EIS, and with the provision of general principles for thermal classification of EIS.