Installation, Inspection, and Testing Requirements for Instrumentation and Electric Equipment During the Construction of Nuclear Power Generating Stations
|Publication Date:||31 August 1977|
This standard sets forth the requirements for installation, inspection, and testing of Class IE electric power, instrumentation, and control equipment and systems during the construction phase of a nuclear power generating station. These requirements are intended to assure that only materials and equipment of acceptable quality are incorporated into the plant, that quality is maintained and quality workmanship prevails throughout the construction process, and that completed installations conform to specified requirements, so as to promote public safety, prevent accidents, and mitigate the consequences of accidents if they occur, and provide a high degree of plant reliability
The requirements of this standard cover the Class IE systems and equipment, and the auxiliaries such as the following:
(1) connecting cables and raceways
(2) electric and instrumentation containment penetrations
(3) instrumentation sensing lines from the process root valves to and including input transducers
(4) primary sensing devices (for example, orifices, flow nozzles, venturi tubes, and reference columns)
(5) pneumatic instrumentation
(6) output control transducers, including tubing and piping (7) fluid systems associated with standby generators and transformer cooling systems
(8) switchgear fluid systems
(9) panels, enclosures, and mountings.
These requirements may also be extended to other appropriate parts of nuclear power generating stations when specified in contract documents
This standard does not set forth specific requirements for the following, though related to the above equipment and systems:
(1) installation, inspection, and testing of welds
(2) cleaning and flushing of instrument sensing lines
(3) aligning or verifying alignment, or both, of rotating equipment
(4) verifying structural integrity of support for Class IE electric equipment
(5) activity governed by ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section III [ 7 ] .
The quality assurance of installation, inspection, and testing activities shall be in accordance with ANSI N45.2-1971 [ 1 ] .