CEN - EN 9102
Aerospace series - Quality systems - First article inspection requirements
|Publication Date:||1 December 2015|
|ICS Code (Quality management and quality assurance):||03.120.10|
|ICS Code (Aircraft and space vehicles in general):||49.020|
This European Standard establishes the baseline requirements for performing and documenting FAI. Should there be a conflict between the requirements of this European Standard and applicable statutory or regulatory requirements, the applicable statutory or regulatory requirements shall take precedence.
The primary purpose of FAI is to validate that product realization processes are capable of producing parts and assemblies that meet engineering and design requirements. A well-planned and executed FAI will provide objective evidence the manufacturer's processes can produce compliant product and that they have understood and incorporated associated requirements. FAI will:
• Provide confidence that the product realization processes are capable of producing conforming product.
• Demonstrate that the manufacturers and processors of the product have an understanding of the associated requirements.
• Provide objective evidence of process capability.
• Reduce potential risks associated with production start-up and/or process changes.
• Provide assurance of product conformance at the start of production and after changes outlined in this European Standard.
An FAI is intended to:
• Reduce future escapes, risks, and total costs.
• Help ensure safety of flight.
• Improve quality, delivery, and customer satisfaction.
• Reduce costs and production delays associated with product nonconformances.
• Identify product realization processes that are not capable of producing conforming product, and initiate and/or validate corrective actions.
This European Standard applies to organizations that are responsible for producing the design characteristics of the product (i.e., product realization). The organization shall flow down the requirements of this European Standard to suppliers or processors who produce design characteristics.
This European Standard applies to assemblies, sub-assemblies,
and detail parts including castings, forgings, and modifications to
standard catalogue or Commercial-Off-the-S
Unless contractually required, this European Standard does not apply to:
• Development and prototype parts that are not considered as part of the first production run.
• Unique single run production orders, not intended for ongoing production (e.g., out-of-production spares).
• Procured standard catalogue items, COTS, or deliverable software.