SMACNA THERMO FRP DUCT
THERMOSET FRP DUCT CONSTRUCTION MANUAL
|Publication Date:||1 January 2016|
The scope of this Thermoset FRP Duct Construction Manual (hereinafter referred to as "FRP DCS") includes the determination of the necessary construction details for the fabrication and installation of thermoset FRP duct within the following general categories, and as further detailed in the scope of individual chapters, through a variety of both analytical and empirical methods:
• Fabricated using hand lay-up, spray-up, and fi lament winding fabrication techniques.
• For process/corrosive applications and commercial HVAC applications
• For a design pressure within the range from negative 30 in. wg (7500 Pa) to positive 30 in. wg (7500 Pa).
• To be supported at intervals not exceeding 10 ft. (3.05 m)
• For a design temperature not exceeding 180°F (82°C) (depending on resin selection).
• With round duct nominal diameters to 96 in. (2400 mm)
• With rectangular duct panel widths to 96 in. (2400 mm)
• Listing of rated stiffeners, fl anges, hanger and support elements, and the methods for selecting them for specifi c structural loads.
• An accepted industry practice for the fabrication and installation of rectangular and round thermoset FRP duct, with its fi ttings, appurtenances, accessories, hangers and supports.
This manual proposes to accomplish the following objectives:
a. To develop standards for the fabrication and installation of FRP duct systems.
b. To develop a source of reference data for design engineers, industrial engineering departments, pollution control authorities, FRP manufactures and installation contractors.
c. To provide a responsible source of documentation and terminology establishing an accurate reference for thermoset plastics as they are used in the sheet metal duct industry.