SMACNA RECTANGULAR DUCT
RECTANGULAR INDUSTRIAL DUCT CONSTRUCTION STANDARDS
|Publication Date:||1 August 2007|
The scope of this manual includes the determination of the necessary construction details for the fabrication and installation of rectangular metallic industrial duct within the following general categories, and as further detailed in the scope of individual chapters, through a variety of both analytical and empirical methods:
• Fabricated from flat sheet or plate panels, using welded seam, grooved lockseam, Pittsburgh lock, and standing seam techniques.
• From commercial grades of carbon, galvanized, aluminized, or stainless steel, or aluminum of the various grades and types as described in Chapter 3.
• For a design pressure within the range from negative 35.0 kPa to positive 35.0 kPa.
• To be supported at intervals not exceeding 10.0 m.
• For a design temperature not exceeding the specific operating limits listed for each type and grade of metal included in Chapter 3.
• With panel widths (W) up to 4.0 m.
• Listing of rated stiffeners, flanges, hanger and support elements, and the methods for selecting them for specific structural loads.
• An accepted industry practices for the fabrication and installation of rectangular metallic industrial duct, with its fittings, appurtenances, accessories, insulation, lagging, hangers and supports.
There were three primary purposes behind the development of this manual:
• To develop minimum standards for the fabrication and installation of metallic rectangular industrial duct systems.
• To develop new, and collect existing, duct construction practices and data to serve as an authoritative source of accepted industrial practices for contractors, design engineers, facility managers, and pollution control authorities.
• To provide an authoritative source of documentation and terminology for operations involved in the construction and installation of rectangular metallic industrial duct.