Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-25: Particular requirements for microwave ovens, including combination microwave ovens
|Publication Date:||1 September 2010|
|ICS Code (Cooking ranges, working tables, ovens and similar appliances):||97.040.20|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of microwave ovens for household and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
This standard also deals with combination microwave ovens, for which Annex AA is applicable.
This standard also deals with microwave ovens intended to be used on board ships, for which Annex BB is applicable.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial purposes, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
- commercial microwave ovens (IEC 60335-2-90)
- industrial microwave heating equipment (IEC 60519-6)
- appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601)
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).