MATERIAL POTENTIALLY PRESENTING AN EXPLOSIVE HAZARD (MPPEH)
|Publication Date:||31 August 2018|
Purpose: In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5134.01 and DoD Instruction (DoDI) 4140.01, this issuance:
• Establishes policy and assigns responsibilities for the management and disposition of MPPEH, material documented as an explosive hazard (MDEH), and material documented as safe (MDAS).
• Authorizes other publications related to and supporting the management and disposition of MPPEH, MDEH, and MDAS.
APPLICABILITY. This issuance:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this issuance as the "DoD Components").
(2) MPPEH, MDEH, and MDAS that are under DoD control or under the control of DoD contractors to the extent provided in the contract.
b. Does not apply to:
(1) Military munitions (also referred to as ammunition and explosives) and munitionsrelated materials, including wholly inert components (e.g., fins, launch tubes, containers, packaging material), that are used or reused for their intended purpose and are within a DoD Component's established munitions management system.
(3) Other items (e.g., gasoline cans, compressed gas cylinders) that are not munitions or munitions-related material but may present an explosion hazard.
(4) Persons outside the DoD other than DoD contractors as provided in contracts.
(5) Subsurface material.